The Associate Degree in Education – Primary Education is offered under the aegis of the Joint Board of Teacher Education for the Eastern Caribbean. It is targeted at persons who intend to teach at the primary level of the education system. The programme is aimed at developing the participants’ academic and pedagogical knowledge, teaching competence, and personal qualities.
The Programme is offered on a full-time basis for a period of two (2) years.
At least five (5) CXC subjects (Grades 1 or 2; or Grade 3 from June 1998) or GCE equivalent.
These five (5) subjects should include:
- English A
- History/ Geography/Social Studies
- Science (Integrated Science, or Agricultural Science, or Human and Social Biology or Chemistry or Biology or Physics) (In addition, persons who do not have at least one pure Science subject at Grades 1 or 2 will be required to register and successfully complete a Science Access course)
- One (1) other academic subject
Preference will be given to persons currently employed as teachers.
An interview is required.
Participants complete courses in three areas as indicated below.
General Education (6 credits)
- English for Communication I (3 credits)
- English for Communication II (3 credits)
Education Foundations (9 credits)
- Educational Psychology (2 courses – 6 credits)
- Social Context of Education (1 course – 3 credits)
Curriculum & Instruction (33 credits)
- Language & Literacy (4 courses – 12 credits)
- Mathematics (2 courses – 6 credits)
- Science (2 courses – 6 credits)
- Social Studies (2 courses – 6 credits)
- Classroom Investigation (1 course – 3 credits)
Teaching Practicum (9 credits)
Electives ( 9 credits)
Three (3) electives to be selected from:
- Physical Education
- Health and Family Life Education
- Facilitating Democracy in the Classrooms
- Drama and Theatre Education
- Guidance and Counselling
- Early Childhood Education
- Catering to Students with Special
- Matriculation French
- Matriculation Spanish
Each elective course carries three (3) credits
TOTAL NUMBER OF CREDITS: 66